Sam's progress

A diary of my (probably mad) attempts to retrain an ex-racehorse.

Friday, May 12, 2006

The course of true eventing never did run smooth (with apologies to Shakespeare!)

This week has certainly been one of highs and lows. To help Sam put some weight on (he was very skinny when we moved down from Cheshire) I had his levels of hard feed upped. The combination of this and all the spring grass that grows down South and it all went to his head. After two exciting (to say the least) hacks last weekend the inevitable happened and I fell off Sam for the first time. Wasn't a particularly dramatic fall - we went for a trot round the gallops at the yard and he spooked at a scary looking hedge. As I wasn't really concentrating I suddenly found myself trotting in mid air. I had that awful feeling of knowing you are about to hit the ground and then I dropped like a sack of spuds (no elegantly bouncing like I used to!). Sam the weasel promptly galloped off to see his mates without even a backward glance to see if I was still breathing. Ho hum, I think we have much further to go on the whole bonding thing. Thankfully some kind soul caught him for me though so no harm was done to me or him but it was still a bit of a shock the first fall and everything (well if you are as pathetic as me anyway).

Because of my issues with my knee I was a bit nervous about causing myself further damage as a result of the fall so I did not ride until Thursday so I could check myself out with the physio (who I was seeing anyway on the Thursday morning - I am not that hysterical!). After much shaking her head about my propensity for accidents she said all was well which meant I could do my dressage lesson that evening with my instructor that had been booked the previous week. Sad to admit I know but I did feel a little nervous just before the lesson (not helped by being stuck in traffic for an hour and a half to get there). Anyway, Sam was an absolute dream and he seems to be slowly learning what the whole idea of schooling and coming down onto the bit is (although he is not getting any better as yet about paying attention). I finished the lesson on a real high after (for the first time) doing canter circles with him on the right leg!! Doesn't sounds a lot but when you have only done the disjointed wall of death in the school before then it means a huge amount. The instructor and I both agreed it was a shame I hadn't brought my camera to show the improvement but she has agreed that from now on she will happily take photos (so my boyfriend is let off the job he is none too keen on). Next lesson is next week so I will try and get some photos up of that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home