Sam's progress

A diary of my (probably mad) attempts to retrain an ex-racehorse.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

The first steps to glory (we hope!)

Now that I have caught up with myself time wise i.e. I am now writing this in the present if that makes sense, rather than taking you through the past, I can let you know the plan. As you know (if you have trawled through the rest of my blatherings) the status so far is:

1) One ex steeplechaser bit knackered but now completely sound
2) One rider still pretty knackered but too bloody minded to let that get in the way
3) A plan to turn said horse and rider into an eventing partnership even though the horse has never been near a school and the rider has never tried to retrain a horse before!

So, the obvious next step is to find Sam and I a very patient trainer who is willing to help him and I build up our schooling right from the very basics. To put the need for “basics” into perspective, Sam and I can now just about canter round the school but friends have referred to the spectacle as the “wall of death” as it is pretty hairy to watch. The long and short being we need A LOT of help.
As the last time I looked for a trainer I was still at Pony Club and based in darkest Somerset I didn’t have any contacts that I could call on. Plus my friends are about as horsey as my boyfriend i.e. not sure which end to pat and so they weren’t much help either. This is when the combined forces of the BHS website, the Horse & Hound forum and the ex racers forum came into their own to help me find suitable candidates. For those who have never been onto the Horse & Hound or ex racers forum I recommend them both highly. I have been known to avoid an entire morning’s work courtesy of these wonderful sites! In my next blog I will include links to both so that others can share in their wonder…

1 Comments:

At 10:23 pm, Blogger SMelville said...

blimey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home