Sam's progress

A diary of my (probably mad) attempts to retrain an ex-racehorse.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sam's developing drug problem

Well I got the results back from the vet who says they are simple nodular sarcoids which means that they are not potentially cancerous. So he told me to keep an eye on them (which does get some funny looks when I am peering up between Sam's legs at the stables!) and to contact them again if any more turn up. This kind of sarcoid is quite common in horses so hopefully all should be ok.

Anna the physio came as well and it seems that everything is not quite so sunny with Sam's back - actually to be more specific his back legs especially his near hind. Turns out that the years of racing mean his legs have weakened and he is getting the start of an equine version of arthritis i.e. a bit gammy. This has meant that he drags his near hind toe when he trots (which I as a bad mummy had not noticed) as he has difficulties lifting the back legs up fully and also explains the bad back as his back is having to make up for the stiffness. So the plan is to work more on building up his back using lots of lunge work and also to get him onto a bute substitute to see if the pain killing effect will make a difference. So have been onto Frogpool Manor (v good website)
and put in my order for Net-Tex Substi-Bute (catchy name no?). I will start Sam on it for a week and see if it does indeed make any difference - the lady at the shop says many racehorse trainers swear by it so we shall see.

By the way in case anyone has forgotten that I am still riding Sam during all these various minor calamities I will take my new camera to the stables at the weekend and will put some more photos up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home